Welcome to the Chinese Canadian Medical Society of BC (CCSMBC) webpage! We are delighted to have you here and invite you to explore the latest information about our organization, events, and initiatives.
As a community of medical professionals, researchers, and students of Chinese heritage, we are committed to advancing the health and well-being of individuals and communities in British Columbia and beyond. Through our events, educational programs, and collaborations with other organizations, we aim to promote excellence in medical practice, foster cultural exchange, and celebrate our heritage.
One of the highlights of our organization is our annual gala, which brings together members of the Chinese Canadian medical community and their families for a night of entertainment, networking, and fundraising. Our galas are not only an opportunity to showcase our achievements but also to give back to the community by supporting important causes.
We invite you to join us in our mission and to participate in our upcoming events, including our next gala. Stay tuned for more information and exciting updates!
Thank you for visiting our webpage and for your support of the Chinese Canadian Medical Society of BC.
CHINESE CANADIAN MEDICAL SOCIETY (BC) PROFILE
The roots of the Chinese Canadian Medical Society (BC) go back to 1973. Groups of Chinese-Canadian physicians gathered across Canada in reaction to a remark by the then CMA president, Dr. Bette Stephenson, about the large number of Chinese students in Canadian medical schools. In May 1985, CCMS (BC) was legally constituted under the leadership of the late Dr. Jay Cheng (psychiatrist). In 1993, our constitution was amended to allow retired physicians, foreign physicians and physicians-in-training to become Associate Members.
- To foster fellowship among the Chinese Canadian physicians of B.C.
- To promote health awareness in the Chinese Community.
- To advocate on health concerns of Chinese Canadians.
Summaries of Activities
- Physician Services:
- Periodic educational dinner meetings & scientific meetings
- Career Night for medical students
- Mentorship program for medical students
- Family Medicine career seminars for medical students
- Scholarships - Dr. Jay Cheng Memorial Scholarship (UBC), Dr. Jay Cheng Prize in Psychiatry (UBC), CCMS (BC) scholarships
- Distinguished CCMSBC Member Award
- Liaison with other organizations as appropriate
- Social Activities:
- Annual dinner & dance
- Chinese New Year Celebration
- Periodic events (ping pong, golf, ski trip, CME tours, etc.)
- Community Services:
- Health Fair
- Radio and T.V. programs
- Asian Women Health Clinic
- Vancouver Chinese Diabetic Education Centre
Hournary and Distiguished Members
In 1990, Dr. Wallace Chung, a renowned vascular surgeon, was inducted as an Honorary Member of the Society. In 2001, the late Dr. Kwok Chu Li, a renowned psychiatrist, was inducted as an Honorary Member. Dr. Howan Koo (family physician) and the late Dr. Francis Ho (family physician) were inducted as Honorary Members in 2006. Dr. Thomas Wong (family physician) was inducted as a Distinguished Member in 2009, and an Hoorary Member in 2016.